[OT] What are D's values?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Oct 8 12:46:33 UTC 2021

On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 11:00:59 UTC, Tejas wrote:

> Chances of Rust taking over that segment?
>
> Also C++ is still used (and must be used??) for applications
> like photo and video editing s/w.
>
> Will Adobe be better off using C# or swift or whatever instead
> pf C++?

Rust is already partially eating up the marketshare of C/C++.
There is a big drive to enable Rust for Linux drivers for
example. For low level programming, I find Rust annoying but some
people might endure it.

When it comes to applications, it is a mystery to me that C++
still is so popular. Probably mostly because there is an existing
code base that companies don't want to rewrite. This is a great
opportunity for D as the FFI is one of the best out there which
enables a gradual migration.

C# is great for applications, for Windows. For other platforms
I'm not sure what the status is and if you get the same
performance. For cross platform GUI application, there isn't an
obvious choice. C++ with Qt is still a strong contender but it is
becoming proprietary. Let's not forget web applications, when
performance is not required web applications do a good enough job
at the same time becoming totally platform independent.

Paint.net is written in C# and you don't really notice it as it
runs just as well as any C++ program.