[OT] What are D's values?

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 16:37:51 UTC 2021

On 10/8/21 2:53 AM, Arjan wrote:

 >  From my experience:
 >
 > Use case: replacing 2 executables with one written in D in a system
 > consisting of multiple executables all written in C++ using various
 > libraries and a proprietary bus system originally designed and build in
 > 2004.

Are you sure it worked? Because Bjarne thinks "it doesn't work". ;)

   https://youtu.be/ae6nFZn3auQ?t=2228

Ali

P.S. More interesting bits from the video:

After praising C++'s Core Guidelines (which contains 400+ rules by my
last count) for years (and introducing it with a bang along with Herb
Sutter at a  C++ conference, reference of which I can't find anymore),
he contradicts himself by saying "humans are not actually very good at
following rules":

   https://youtu.be/ae6nFZn3auQ?t=2039

Of course, ultimate blame for C++ bugs goes to "static analysis community":

   https://youtu.be/ae6nFZn3auQ?t=2345

So, perhaps I misunderstood the guidelines: They were not for humans to
begin with? Nah! They were and are for humans. I followed similar C++
rules personally for about 20 years.

Despite Bjarne's understanding the value of fat pointers (D's slices):

   https://youtu.be/ae6nFZn3auQ?t=2145

... he does not think "the solution is necessarily another language":

   https://youtu.be/ae6nFZn3auQ?t=1758

I watched the video only between minutes 29 and 42, so there may be more
gems in there.