[OT] What are D's values?

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 9 07:38:01 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:59:42 UTC, Greg Strong wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:30:21 UTC, Adam Ruppe wrote:
>> D is realistically best suited to be a more fun C#.
>
> Yes, absolutely!  I made the move from C++ to C# about 15 years
> ago.  The C# ecosystem is really a pretty good place to be.
> But its metaprogramming capabilities, while once competitive,
> are now pretty unimpressive.  The programming language
> state-of-the-art has come a long way in the last 20 years (even
> if most people are still using old tech.)  The D language's
> CFTE is really THE game changer.  I know of nothing else like
> it, and I could make some really good use of that in my C# code
> base...
>
> So I'm using D for some new projects.  Of course, it has some
> other pretty innovative things too.  For example, the
> scope(exit) construct.  That's soooo much better than needing
> to enclose things in layer after layer of try-catch blocks.
> Other languages should all be copying this construct.
>
> Anyway, yes, D is a very compelling option for experienced C#
> developers who want to be more on the cutting edge.

This is kinda where I'm at atm. The *only* thing holding me back
is the ecosystem. If we find a bug in D, we can probably fix it.
But, if we don't find a library, the cost of creating it might be
too big 😢

Imo D is mature enough now. It's battle tested. It's flexible
etc. Has great metaprogramming. The language itself doesn't need
much change apart from testing what exists even more, especially
since we're soon at 2.1 😱

Aim for stability and robustness.
Then focus on ecosystem.

I come in peace, I think