[OT] What are D's values?

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 9 09:28:28 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 08:47:10 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 07:38:01 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>>
>> Imo D is mature enough now. It's battle tested. It's flexible
>> etc.
>
> That's where I think there are room for improvements.
>
> D is not flexible when it comes to choose memory management
> type because of lack of fat pointers.
> The shared memory model is a disaster.
>
> D is good but it has a few serious warts.

Agreed, but here I'm talking about the language aspect. There are
some quirks - yes - but are those *more* important than
ecosystem? If you *had* to choose?

Ideally one would want a 100% complete foundation before
expanding the ecosystem, I totally agree. But if I would be
forced to choose with a gun to my head, I would say the ecosystem
is where it's at. And to build a great ecosystem you need people.
And to get people you need some selling points and marketing etc.
Otherwise, how would people even know it exists?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0950584921001051

I've talked to various devs and like none of them have even heard
of D, but when I show it the reaction is often like "hmm, that
actually looks kinda nice".