[OT] What are D's values?

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 20:42:25 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 12:11:51 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Sure when D's ecosystem catches up.

It'd definitely be a nice surprise if the leadership announced
some sort of plan of action on tackling this issue, because
without structured guidance I don't see this being possible.

e.g.

"What we need:

* de-facto standard event loop
* de-facto standard web server
* de-facto standard json library
* de-facto standard yaml library
* de-facto standard logging library
* de-facto standard database abstraction
* de-facto standard whatever

We'll do this by creating a list of requirements these libraries
should meet, yada yada.

We'll setup/use an official github org to organise these under,
so they're not just random repos with random owners yada yada.

Maybe even give them simple names on dub, literally "yaml", or
"eventloop".

The leadership will work together with the community to yada yada.
"

I'm obviously a very naive person, but would something like the
above even be feasible, if useful at all?

Because at the moment all I see is:

"Person A ports/writes a library/binding. 1 year later it has 3
total downloads and is completely dead."

"Person B does the exact same thing, and suffers the exact same
fate".

I wonder what it is about D that makes such coordination
seemingly so difficult.

Because when we used to have the Vision documents, it'd include
things like "Get a new std.json library with X Y Z features", but
they never came to fruition.

It was more like a wishlist rather than a plan of action.