[OT] What are D's values?

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 20:56:23 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 07:13:38 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:23:00 UTC, russhy wrote:
>> Why do you guys compare D to C#, if there is one language you
>> should compare D is with
>>  (actually 3) Go/Rust/Zig
>>
>> C# appeals to Java people, it's not a native system language,
>> it compiles to IL and requires a massive runtime
>>
>> The more you look at C#, the faster you'll miss the biggest
>> agendas of tomorrow, C# just like Java are slowing meeting
>> with the graveyard of old and irrelevant tech
>
> So much disinformation.
>
> Here the native code compilers for C#.
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/dotnet-native/
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/ngen-exe-native-image-generator
>
> https://github.com/dotnet/designs/blob/main/accepted/2020/form-factors.md#native-aot-form-factors
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/internals/aot
>
> https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/IL2CPP.html
>
> Running on production embedded hardware,
>
> https://www.wildernesslabs.co
>
> Apparently the majority of the games running in that Nintendo
> toy, that has broken all sale records, happen to use Unity in
> about 30% of their titles.
>
> https://www.kelltontech.com/kellton-tech-blog/reasons-develop-nintendo-switch-games-in-unity-game-engine
>
> Another graveyard irrelevant technology that besides Nintendo,
> is the tier 1 for Sony, Google and Microsoft gaming systems and
> AR/VR platforms, alongside Unreal.
>
> Looks pretty much alive to me.
>
> D also compiles to LDC bitcode and GCC gimple, and has a
> runtime.
>
> Should we also consider it not a systems language then?
>
> Don't let the hatred and lack of knowledge for other stacks
> cloud your judgement.
>
> It steers people away from D when false statements are being
> done about the ecosystems they know quite well, turning on
> their defences and thus stop listening on what D is actually
> supposed to be better on.

vibe-d and hunt helped compete with asp.net and spring, it's a
known fact, the GC helps D web servers handle terabytes of heap
memory and millions of transactions per seconds, also a known
fact..

it also helped compete with the simplicity of go net/http, a very
known fact, obviously

you are looking at the past, when you want to be relevant
tomorrow, you look forward

comparing to C# with what strengths?

there is not JIT and no low latency GC, you'll be forever a worst
version of C# if you keep that argument

and anyways, comparing with other languages is a little bit
offtopic

what are out strenghts, and what problems can we solve?

i make a game with D, what are  you guys doing with D?