Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Johan j at j.nl
Mon Oct 11 17:06:38 UTC 2021

On Monday, 11 October 2021 at 15:59:10 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> I'm brainstorming about what I'll talk about at DConf, and
> during a conversation with Walter I thought it might be cool to
> talk about:
>
> * Worst features implemented in a non-toy language
> * Worst features (in your opinion) in D

Two things that immediately come to mind:

- `unittest`. Clutters code reading, discourages extensive
testing (because of said clutter), discourages testing inside a
user's module, complicates runtime and compiler, framework cannot
be developed separate from language runtime, ...

- Implicit pointer/reference type of classes. While I think the
forced reference type of classes is a good idea (when passing as
function argument), I think it was a very bad idea to remove the
`*` from notation. It makes code impossible to interpret without
looking up a user-defined type.

-Johan