Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 21:32:52 UTC 2021

On Monday, 11 October 2021 at 21:22:29 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> On Monday, 11 October 2021 at 15:59:10 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> I'm brainstorming about what I'll talk about at DConf, and
>> during a conversation with Walter I thought it might be cool
>> to talk about:
>>
>> * Worst features implemented in a non-toy language
>> * Worst features (in your opinion) in D
>> * Features you'd like to see in D
>>
>> Ideas? Examples?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Worst features:
>
> - ability to define alias this on class objects
Yes! This right here is the worst feature as it is a source of
headaches when it comes to compiler bugs.
We can replace this that introduce new features for the classes
such as the much needed properties overhaul that is still WIP.
https://github.com/12345swordy/DIPs/blob/properties/DIPs/%40get%20%40set%20.md
and introduce default interface implementation.

Before you ask, No, using string mixin or templates for
implementing interfaces  is NOT considered to be a default
interface implementation.
See here:
https://github.com/dotnet/csharplang/blob/main/proposals/csharp-8.0/default-interface-methods.md

- Alex