[OT] What are D's values?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 12 16:51:40 UTC 2021

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 09:54:11AM +0000, Ki Rill via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> D is all about choice.
>
> Many people feel frustrated with D: @safe, @live, @nogc, betterC, etc
> - what/when to use? They ultimately feel lost. But it's not a language
> thing.
>
> D lets the programmer make the choices and helps him stay true to what
> he has chosen. D is like C - it trusts the programmer, but it also has
> the necessary mechanisms to ensure that the programmer does not stray
> from the path chosen.
>
> Want to avoid the GC? Put @nogc at the top of your file. Do you want
> your code to be safe? @safe - is the way to go. Such mechanisms ensure
> you don't get lazy and start using the features you set to avoid.
>
> Unlike Rust, D does not enforce anything upon the programmer. There is
> no path, schema, plan. You are your own boss. You decide.
>
> D is all about choice. Every time we start a new project, we need to
> decide what D subset to use. I find D similar to Gentoo
> philosophy-wise. Systemd vs OpenRC? Etc.
>
> I believe we need to somehow communicate this to the public to clarify
> all this confusion involved with D features.

+1, one of the things that drew me to D was the choices. It doesn't try
to shove some idealogy down my throat, but gives me the tools to achieve
what I want.  Unlike some people here, I find that having more than one
way to do something is a *good* thing. (When the choices are meaningful,
that is. When there are multiple ways of doing something but the choices
are not meaningful, that's a different question.)

"I'm not childish; I'm just in touch with the child within!" - RL