std.conv.to!string(float) Is too heavy

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 12 19:50:51 UTC 2021

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 07:08:44PM +0000, IGotD- via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 18:06:53 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> >
> > Lot of people has implemented float to string conversion without
> > requiring 500KB.
>
> Floats to string is of course more complicated that integers but 500KB
> is ridiculous. It should rather be something like 10-20 KB.
>
> It's likely it is a combination of that the optimizer/linker is unable
> to remove unused functions. Also that imports usually imports more
> stuff, even if it is just a tiny function from another import.
>
> It's like a box of cables, you just want one cable but when you pull
> out one cable you get the entire ball of cables.

It'd be nice to untangle that ball of cables so that less cables get
pulled out when you tug at one (so to speak). :-D  We talked about
pay-as-you-go modularization of Phobos at least a few times, but so far,
that ball of cables persist.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -- Napoleon Bonaparte