Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:33:59 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 02:39:47 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 01:56:19 UTC, russhy wrote:
>> this is why things like tagged union (sumtype) and multiple
>> return type should be implemented as language features, that
>> way it is easier to parse (on top of other benefits)
>>
>> please push for language feature! your work on sumtype was
>> great, but there is much more to gain from upgrading it as a
>> language feature
>
> If anyone wants to work on a DIP and implementation for
> built-in sum types, they will have my full support.
> Unfortunately, I do not have the time or the skills necessary
> to lead such a project myself.

it worth doing the extra kilometer to avoid having the situation
we have currently, for yet another std package

going easy road for what short term benefits? other languages
have tagged union built into the language, same for nullable,
it's proven to be very useful

std should serve for bigger (missing) purposes

- Filesystem package: std.fs

- Networking package: std.net

- Event Loop package: std.event

- Graphics package: std.gfx

- Datastructure package: std.collections

- Memory package: std.mem

not for little things that doesn't have any purpose other than
inflating the std with tiny packages that everyone already has
implemented in their own "utils" module

it's to get issues like this:
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/gyzbciyzrywphxbbhdpn@forum.dlang.org

then even more no..