Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

jfondren julian.fondren at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:13:28 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 October 2021 at 17:02:49 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 October 2021 at 16:48:12 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Monday, 11 October 2021 at 21:41:45 UTC, monkyyy wrote:
>>> * sword of damocles of safe by default or who knows what
>>> koolaid being enabled one day
>>
>> Interesting. What is it about safe by default that would worry
>> you?
>
> I've interacted with monkyyy a bunch in the community Discord.
> He's the kind of programmer who would rather write code with
> undefined behavior and get away with it than follow any kind of
> compiler-enforced rules.
>
> Most programmers with this attitude eventually get it beaten
> out of them by painful experience. I wouldn't put too much
> stock in it.

The emphasis there should be on "sword of damocles" (uncertainty
wrt. a future negative outcome) and "being enabled one day" (a
change in the language).

d is currently @system by default, and making it @safe by default
is a breaking change that requires people to run through their
code and change it, even if just to add a @system: at the top. If
you personally greatly value a breaking change then maybe you
won't mind this kind of maintenance, but others it's imposed
bitrot.

dub could be in the position of automatically trying --revert=
flags if the latest tag release is older than some breaking
change to dmd