Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Antonio antonio at abrevia.net
Fri Oct 15 10:23:35 UTC 2021

On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 09:53:18 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 09:47:48 UTC, Antonio wrote:
>>
>> Rust has not GC.
>>

> Rust has GC, i.e. reference counting. This is also often
> required with multiple ownership which you often end up with in
> data structures. I would rather say GC is mandatory in Rust,
> unless you want to take the unsafe approach.
>
> It's a matter what you regard as GC. Is only tracing GC
> regarded as true GC?

Hi IGotD-  really fast response :-)

Nim has reference counting too (combined with "cycle" detection
"true" GC)... I really love not to use the "ownership" pattern
(it's like strait jacket)... some "functional" tries with Rust
results in "hard to read" code... As time goes by, I find it
harder to be imperative.

When I say that GC/Not GC is a problem is because there is an
eternal discussion in forums and D maintains itself "neutral"
when, in fact, it is a GC language...  There is Walter
experimental tries to introduce "ownership" equivalent (at least
last time I review), there is people requesting a non GC based
Phobos library...

I consider myself an "external observer".  May be D must
introduce the Nim filosofy about GC( select your best option:
Pure GC, Counter + GC, Counter only) and developer must be
responsible about avoiding problems under the selected scenary,
and Phobos must be compatible with the most restrictive one
(Counter only)

My point is about D must be clear and advance, it's impossible to
keep everyone happy.