"I told you so": noreturn sucks a leech and has virtually no utility

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Oct 15 21:48:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 01:13:29PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It has been predicted by several folks that noreturn has very limited
> utility and a variety of weird corner cases that will cause a hecatomb
> of complications in the language, the standard library, and the
> implementation.

Besides its weird name (it's really a bottom type than anything else;
calling it noreturn is somewhat misleading), what exactly is wrong with
it?

A mathematician learns more and more about less and less, until he knows
everything about nothing; whereas a philospher learns less and less
about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.