Nim Nuggets: Nim talk at Strange Loop 2021

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 10:03:12 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 08:20:24 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> And still, in 2021 using C++20, compile time features are
> severely crippled.

How so? Anyway, what Walter said was not accurate. Languages are
usually defined in a way where compile-time optimizations are
optional and an implementation detail. Compile time evaluation of
functions is nothing new, and a common optimization.

> I tried just some days ago doing some simple math pow stuff and
> the answer I got from the C++ community was "eh, well you'd
> have to use a constexpr compatible library for that"

Because pow may be system specific at runtime. A compile time
optimization should not lead to a different outcome.