Nim Nuggets: Nim talk at Strange Loop 2021

jfondren julian.fondren at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 11:09:14 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 06:05:21 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 04:17:38 UTC, jfondren wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2VRuZo2pdA
>>
>> About 50% of it is inadvertent praise for D. The rest is ARC
>> and C++ interop.
>
> If you mean compile time evaluation, D wasn't the first with
> such features and it is quite far from what Common Lisp is
> capable of.

I mean 50% of the whole thing, and without concern for who's
first. D looks familiar(TM), it has a fast compiler, you can
relax and treat it like it's a dynamic language but still come
back and get picky about unnecessary copies et al., it has UFCS,
it has excellent static reflection and is capable of similar
tricks like diffType().

Someone who watches this while knowing D is going to think "yeah,
I like that about D" about half the time.