Nim Nuggets: Nim talk at Strange Loop 2021

jfondren julian.fondren at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:42:47 UTC 2021

On Monday, 18 October 2021 at 11:22:10 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Wrong, it was in response to "About 50% of it is inadvertent
> praise for D.", because naturally for some people when any
> language has something that somehow resembles D, it was copied
> from D, regardless of prior art.

There are two twin siblings. One is praised for having good looks
and good grades. This praise is described as "50% inadvertent
praise for the the other twin". Do you conclude that one child
stole other's looks or grades?

You might if you had an axe that needed grinding. But most people
would get the joke: the other twin's grades are poor.

If you'd watched any amount of the presentation before replying,
you'd see there's lots of praise for things that can't even be
"copied from D", like praise for a fast compiler, and there's
also lots of praise that doesn't apply to D at all. It's about
50% unintentional praise for D, which I think makes it more of
interest to a D audience. Do I need add a disclaimer any time
this happens? "Here's a cool presentation about Kotlin. About 20%
of it is inadvertent praise for D. My lawyers have advised me to
include this addendum to this post: Common Lisp was standardized
in 1994 with closures."

> And apparently some are quite touchy to facts.

Part of your 'facts' are accusing Walter of simply lying about
his memories of ctfe and its reception, as if everyone in all
programming communities was obliged to be constantly aware of
every innovation anywhere in computing. The average compiler
developer, shown Forth, was going to say "well, yeah, if you have
a single pass compiler and are constantly compiling into an
interactive environment, I guess you could get compile-time
interaction this way, but I don't see how I could do anything
like that."