My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:12:05 UTC 2021

On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 18:05:47 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
> And I've gone on about this a bit before, but in terms of a
> "get shit done" language, D isn't much of a competitor. If I
> want to get something tapped out quick and easy, I'd rather use
> C# or Go where everything is well tested, mostly well
> documented, and I don't have to deal with C libraries just to
> bridge the gaps in missing functionality (especially making
> sure the code builds cross-platform).

Are you talking about C# and Go with only their standard
libraries or with additional libraries. In the latter case it
would be difficult for any small language to compete, but if we
make the assumption that projects only use the standard library
then there is an argument to be made for creating a streamlined
programming experience with a sensible default setup.

But one still needs to define the typical use scenario in order
to determine what the best choice is… It is basically impossible
to design in a vacuum, then one ends up with a mishmash of
opinions.