A potentially interesting project

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 00:08:09 UTC 2021

On 10/17/21 10:18 PM, SealabJaster wrote:
> Was recently pondering if it were possible to auto-generate a client for
> the AWS API.
>
> I decided to see how the official SDKs were made, and found out that
> Amazon created a tool called Smithy: https://github.com/awslabs/smithy
>
> They've written their more recent SDKs via code generation in Smithy,
> see for example:
>
> The base Go generator: https://github.com/aws/smithy-go
>
> The generation specifically for the Go SDK:
> https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go-v2/tree/main/codegen
>
> This is too much effort for me to personally bother with (plus I barely
> know Java), but I thought it might take someone else's interest,
> especially since I struggled to find any hint of this being a thing in
> the first place.

You know, IIRC I saw someone who had prototyped such a thing (for D)
when poking around Github late one night. I wish I could think of where
I saw it. The repo had the entire JSON file documenting the AWS API
surface, and -- I believe -- there was some code that had parsed just
the S3 namespace and generated dlang code for this.

In any case, I think this would be a tremendous project, and infinitely
more maintainable than one that did NOT automatically generate code ...