Nim Nuggets: Nim talk at Strange Loop 2021

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Oct 19 02:28:11 UTC 2021

On 10/17/2021 4:04 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Maybe you should have read more SIGPLAN papers then, there are several examples
> of those capabilities.

It seems strange that for something so widely known, it never came up in any
enhancement requests for major languages like C, C++, Pascal, etc.

Instead, when people discovered that C++ templates formed a turing-complete
programming language to do computations at compile time, and would write about
what a great new capability that was!

(I also recall a C++ Committee person pooh-pooing D's CTFE, and showing how it
could be done with C++ templates, at least until the compiler ran out of memory,
which it did for non-trivial computations. It could do string manipulation, as
long as the string wasn't longer than 8 characters.)