Nim Nuggets: Nim talk at Strange Loop 2021

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Oct 19 02:54:22 UTC 2021

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 02:42:22AM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 October 2021 at 02:28:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > at least until the compiler ran out of memory
>
> Don't throw stones from glass houses!

Yeah... at one point I really wanted to show my coworkers what D was
capable of, but my initial private test caused dmd to run out of memory
and crash on a low-memory box (which a requirement for our project).  I
quickly decided *not* to show my coworkers what dmd could do (or could
not do!), in order not to give them a really bad initial impression of
D.

DMD's all-speed-or-nothing design makes it a memory-hungry beast. It
works wonderfully on modern PCs overflowing with spare RAM; in
low-memory environments, this leads to all sorts of problems, from
thrashing on I/O (due to swapping) to outright crashing before it could
finish compilation.  I'd rather have a slow compiler than a super-fast
one that crashes before it could finish doing what is its raison d'etre.

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative." A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, yeah."