Accessing static data of functions

Ogi ogion.art at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:15:01 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 14 October 2021 at 14:32:49 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> No.

Is there any solid reasoning behind this gaping hole in the
language reflection capabilities? I understand that in general it
is not a good idea to meddle with static variables but
serialization/deserialization is a good example where this is
required.

> Avoid storing any of your game's state in static variables.

What are we talking about is not a game but an engine to be used
for making different games, potentially by people other than me.
So this is a limitation that the users will have to be aware of
and work around it, and failing to do so will result in silent
bugs in their code because there’s no way to enforce it at
compile time.