The new rule for DIPs by language maintainers was a mistake

Jordan Wilson wilsonjord at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:47:03 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 19 October 2021 at 02:22:54 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> It is time for us to admit that the "champion" requirement was
> a mistake. It should be removed from the DIP process, and
> language maintainers should be allowed (and encouraged) to
> submit their proposals for community feedback directly.

If you step back and consider why option 2 wouldn't be used all
the time, then I'd suggest community engagement as an important
additional factor to the already mentioned technical benefit of
constructive feedback.

In light of community engagement, a champion concept makes
sense...there is now a larger surface for the community to
influence a language maintainer-led DIP.

I would have thought that the idea of a champion would be quite
attractive to a langue-maintainer; a person to battle for you in
the forums, so to speak. You are not wrong in that the
involvement of an additional person in the DIP does come with a
cost, but how that cost effects the DIP process, I'm not entirely
sure.