If you could make any changes to D, what would they look like?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:23:42 UTC 2021

On 10/20/21 11:58 AM, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 October 2021 at 15:53:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Object* *is* the pointer.  There's nothing going on behind the scenes.
>
> well tho does obj++; move the pointer or call the operator on the class?

Yeah, this proposal falls apart there. I don't think it's viable.

If obj++ doesn't mean go to the next Object, then you are trading one
WTF for another.

> I don't think this syntax is ideal (I kinda prefer the old `Object ref`
> proposal), but just it is something interesting to think about.

I actually wrote an unpublished blog article (from 2013) arguing for
something to fix this (it fixes a lot of other things too). But I
received such negative feedback, I abandoned it.

-Steve