Empire and D are in the news

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 22:47:50 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 20 October 2021 at 20:33:50 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 10/20/2021 9:13 AM, Basile B. wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 20 October 2021 at 13:01:21 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> _"Eventually, my clandestine activities were discovered and
>>> the computer division demanded that I be reprimanded"_
>>
>> very cool anecdote.
>
> Having upper management go to bat for me against bureaucratic
> fiefdoms was very gratifying.

I mentioned this anecdote to a friend of mine who is aiming to
work in aerospace, he didn't actually believe me. Totally
unimaginable today with all these finite element solvers
available that run really fast on commodity hardware, although I
think the art/intuition of sitting down and actually doing the
maths on some mechanical component might be going the way of the
dodo.