Empire and D are in the news

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Thu Oct 21 06:34:09 UTC 2021

On 21/10/2021 5:50 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> In the flight controls group, I was probably the first engineer to use a
> computer. I wrote my own programs to do things like matrix inversions.

Ugh, I've been working on fixing bugs/improving my matrix struct
recently. With the bug fixes for inversions/Gaussian elimination.

The latest bug was with floating point, multiply one number with another
*should* result in another and it even writeln's to that value! But it
wasn't that value. Which of course meant... the resulting multiplication
was like E-6. Tiny but it threw off everything with chromatic adaption.

Honestly? If I had fixed point or IEEE-754 to choose from, I'd probably
go with fixed point every time.

Anyway hearing about all this is quite interesting!