Some (probably inaccurate) stats about Dub packages

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 09:00:09 UTC 2021

(I know I'm posting a lot lately, but I'm simply curious :D)

To pass the time I've been writing a thingy to show the downloads
of dub packages over time.

I thought to myself "how many dub packages are actually used?"

So here's a few stats I've compiled. The Weekly and Monthly
snapshots were taken 1 day ago:

```
TOTAL		PACKAGES		PERCENTAGE
1000000		5			0.24%
100000 		41			2.01%
10000 		165			7.90%
1000 		375			17.96%
100 		1058 			50.67%
10 		1619 			77.54%
1 		2018			96.65%

MONTHLY		PACKAGES		PERCENTAGE
10000 		13 			0.63%
1000 		48 			2.30%
100 		113			5.41%
10 		287 			13.75%
5 		367			17.58%
1 		657 			31.47%

WEEKLY		PACKAGES		PERCENTAGE
1000 		20 			0.98%
100 		70 			3.35%
10 		149 			7.14%
5 		191 			9.15%
1 		309 			14.80%
```

This is just off of data that I've scraped from dub, hence this
likely isn't too accurate.

But when I look at these numbers I personally think "is it even
worth wasting time making a dub library?"

I wonder what the average age of the most used/median used/least
used packages are, and what categories they'd fall under.

Hopefully others find this of interest, even if it's not very
enlightening on its own.