Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

claptrap clap at trap.com
Sun Oct 24 10:21:22 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 08:42:54 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> It us equally puzzeling why prople want "&&" instead of "and"
> or "||" instead of "or". There is no rational explanation, I
> think people like to feel that they are using something
> advanced and that a syntax that that is associated with
> advanced usage makes them feel more skilled? Kinda like
> fashion...

Because boolean algebra was already a thing and it was symbolic
in nature. So making it wordy would probably seem a bit odd,
maybe childish to some people. It'd be like writing arithmetic
expressions like this...

1 plus 1 equals 2

If you can understand why people wouldn't want to write
arithmetic expressions like that, surely you can understand why
some people wouldn't want wordy boolean expressions?