Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 13:59:42 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 09:08:56 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I think elitism has a lot to do with fashions in language
> syntax. Like, even when BASIC would be the best tool for a job,
> I think many would rather not use it as it would imply being a
> less sophisticated programmer...

This has sent me through a slightly on topic yet mostly off topic
train of thought.

Languages like Java, C#, probably C++, JS/TS, etc. are all large
enough and mainstream enough that there are programmers who only
know those singular languages to a decent degree.

Meanwhile there are the more comparatively fringe languages like
D, Nim, I guess Rust, and so on, that likely consist of so-called
polyglot programmers - those that are proficient in multiple
languages.

It's hard to express my thoughts, but I wonder what affect this
has on these fringe languages in general, compared to the more
mainstream ones.