Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 14:47:48 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 10:21:22 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> Because boolean algebra was already a thing and it was symbolic
> in nature. So making it wordy would probably seem a bit odd,
> maybe childish to some people. It'd be like writing arithmetic
> expressions like this...
>
> 1 plus 1 equals 2
>
> If you can understand why people wouldn't want to write
> arithmetic expressions like that, surely you can understand why
> some people wouldn't want wordy boolean expressions?

I think "not being childish" is a sign of fashion-elitism if it
makes code less legible. Many languages that predated C++'s
uptake did use more intuitive syntax and had a less noisy
appearance.

C++ does provide "and" and "or" as keywords though, but people
probably don't want to appear as being "not proficient" so I
don't actually see it in published code. I have found that using
them makes my own code slightly faster to read, so I have
recently started to use them. Makes sense to me that "if",
"while", "or", "and" ties to flow control, and "&", "|", "+", "/"
ties to calculating expressions. I find it slightly easier to
read such code when I skim over it (without digging into the
specifics).

The line noise does of course make programs look more impressive
to non-coders: "Whoa, that looks complex, you must be very
clever".