If you could make any changes to D, what would they look like?

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 19:00:17 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 17:42:28 UTC, Gavin Ray wrote:
> I cannot use UFCS at all because Code-D for VS Code isn't able
> to properly resolve them using the community Serve-D lang
> server.

Genuine question: is it really so difficult to write such code
"by hand"? I understand that language servers are convenient, but
I find it almost impossible to imagine being completely unwilling
or unable to write code without one.

I ask because I suspect most D users (including core
contributors) regard this sort of tooling support as "nice to
have," but not "essential", and therefore do not give a high
priority to improving it. If it really is "essential" to a
significant fraction of programmers, we might want to rethink
that stance.