Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 21:26:25 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 24 October 2021 at 20:46:01 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> If you're writing a ton of boolean expressions over and over
> using a symbol instead of a word to express a concept will make
> it easier. It may increase the learning curve for people coming
> to it fresh, but that doesn't mean that is reason for doing it.

The only reason for doing it is that C used it. If there is any
difference in typing speed then it would favour letters over
symbols.

> So you find them slightly faster to read, and anyone who
> doesn't use them must be showing off?

No, I made rational argument for why there are no advantages to
using "&&" and "||" over "and" and "or". It is entirely cultural.

> But they are not part of control flow, they are part of
> expressions.

Yes, 99% of them in conditional expressions as selectors in
control flow. Why being pedantic?

> Yeah cause programmers go around showing their code to non
> coders to try and impress them.

No, you don't get the main point. Culture and identity affects
preferences and evolution of language, that is a human trait. It
is pretty pervasive and well established. There is no reason to
assume that programmers are different from other human beings.

There is no reason to be offended by this. It should be obvious,
I think?