Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:22:51 UTC 2021

On Monday, 25 October 2021 at 10:55:43 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> I'm saying it probably initially came from boolean algebra in
> maths. Or maybe even electronics, there was a history of
> boolean logic being expressed with symbols before programming
> languages even existed.

Yes, and that has been evolving as well. Often times they had to
make do with what the typograph had available when setting their
papers. (Like turning an "A" or "E" upside down.)

> Programming languages and natural languages have vastly
> different evolution. People are not subtly changing programming
> language syntax all the time as a means of self expression.

I don't think this is true. Programming language syntax evolve at
a higher pace than natural language, and programmers bend the
syntax whenever they get a chance to suit their own taste (self
expression).

> When someone designs a new programming language I dont think
> they are asking themselves how can I design the syntax to make
> themselves look cool, they are either choosing syntax because
> it is what they are used to, or for some other technical reason.

It is a mix, it is also a strategic choice, making assumptions
about what would make it look appealing to existing programmers.

> That's the issue I have with what you're saying, I dont think
> language designers are making syntax choices in order to look
> cool.

The designers don't decide which ones of the languages that catch
on. What programmers adopt determines the direction of language
evolution. There are thousands of programming languages. That is
why culture and identity is a force in this evolution process.