Thoughts on versioning

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:57:01 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 13:52:01 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> [snip]
>
> After suggesting and exploring probably 4 different mechanisms,
> including template mixins (which almost worked), I have come to
> the same conclusion. Just copy and backport fixes when needed.
> [snip]

I think the copy and paste approach needs to flesh out the exact
procedure that needs to happen at the start of development on
that release. For instance, should the std folder be copy/pasted
with the result re-named `std_v_x_xx`. This would break code if
people stay on std. So maybe the new `std` should be `std2` with
folders saved as `std2_v_x_xx`?

What about creating aliases for each year's release? So for
instance, `alias std_yyyy = std_v_x_xx;`? And then increment it
as new releases come out each year, until the final one. It would
be nice to alias an entire module or package, but otherwise would
need to have some automated approach to add in the aliases.