Thoughts on versioning

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 10:21:58 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 27 October 2021 at 07:44:19 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> Whenever people have to maintain several versions of a product
> what they often do is to implement the old version in terms of
> the new. From the outside it seems version 1 is still available
> but internally it is just version 2 + the quirks of version 1.
> That might not be possible everywhere, especially if the newer
> versions stray too much.

This is can be problematic when you have advanced introspection.
This could potentially ruin future language advances (more
powerful introspection).

I don't think the community should assume that what works for
other languages will serve D well.

Basically, maintaining multiple versions of a standard lib for a
language that is evolving is overreaching. You get another layer
of issues in addition to the ones you already have.