Can't run executable built with Dub - OS thinks it is shared library

Stephen C schatelain at msn.com
Wed Oct 27 19:48:14 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 27 October 2021 at 19:16:29 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Which Linux distribution are you using, and which file
> browser/desktop environment are you using when you attempt to
> run the program by clicking on it?

Linux Mint 20.2 with XFCE4 and Thunar file manager.
I think you're right - it seems to be a problem with Thunar (and
possibly other file managers in Linux).

 From a bug report I just found:
_An application built with the "-PIE" flag will be seen as a
"application/x-sharedlib" mime type unless the user explicitly
uses the "-nopie" link flag. When attempting to open the
application, Thunar will ask the user what application to use -
even though it's an application._

I assume this also happens with the "-PIC" flag. But is there any
way to run DMD without the -fPIC flag (set in dmd.conf)? I tried
to remove it, but then it won't compile at all.