Worst ideas/features in programming

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:25:09 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 27 October 2021 at 21:31:05 UTC, ClapTrap wrote:
> And chainsaws are pretty simple machines, I mean in terms of
> design they are pretty much all at the same place. So you can
> probably find very similarly specced machines by all the big
> manufacturers.

Hm, I don't think anyone are making high speed chainsaws anymore
(I think they max out at 11000RPM now). Only matters slightly
when delimbing really. RPM goes down real fast when you enter
anything with thickness (it is a thinning saw, so not very
powerful, but easy handling).

> Programming languages are not like that, they're not
> technically comparable, you pick any two languages you can find
> a shed load of technical reasons to chose one over the other.

Most people tend to go with what-other-people-are-going-with. For
instance, C++ is pretty much a lonely king-on-the-hill for
graphics and audio. You go with the group that you identify with
is using. Java for business applications. And so on.

I don't actually think average developers look for new
opportunities when picking a language. When they pick a
framework, they might. For language choice, I think average
programmers go with something that makes them feel safe.

> You read up on the web, or you ask someone you think will be
> able to help. But you don't go and ask them "I need a chainsaw,
> which is the most nordic?".
>
> Or maybe you do? :)

Heh, when I was young I totally wanted the Jonsered 20xx TURBO.
That "TURBO" made it seem totally awesome (but probably was no
better, clever marketing ;^).

All the pro saws in stores were either Husqvarna or Jonsered back
then (Swedish brands) IIRC. I doubt I would have considered any
other brands, just assumed other brands were crap. And I still
feel/assume that Husqvarna is better than Stihl in handling and
build quality, and would not consider other brands than those
two. Taking down windfalls can be dangerous, I don't want the saw
to fail on me. As I said, you don't know if a tool is robust
until it fails.

> Saying PhP is just as good as any other tool is not a rational
> point of view.

The syntax isn't great, but the semantics in "modern" Php is good
enough. I personally don't feel the package is up to a
professional standard, although people obviously use it in a pro
setting. So it is a feeling, more than a dissection. If I am
going to spend a lot of time focusing on a language I want an
aesthetics I like, so that I can write code I from time-to-time
feel is beautiful. Can you be truly satisfied with a language if
you don't like the looks of the code at the end of the day? I
doubt it, but then we are in a very subjective landscape!

It is kinda like why I want the pro line Husqvarna, I want the
top handle to be in metal. It gives me a better feeling and I can
focus more on the work (and forget about the tool). It is kinda
subjective though, whether one feels a metal handle is better
than a plastic handle.