Thoughts on versioning

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:23:37 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 10:38:20 UTC, Robert burner
Schadek wrote:
> I rather would see people being annoyed by safe being the
> default and
> forced GC usage, than see nobody on the forum, because nobody
> cares anymore.

Although I don't favour D's GC or approach to memory management I
do agree that drawing a line in the sand is more important.
Letting the wind take control, ending up with a fragmented eco
system is not a good option.

But if you fully embrace higher level "semantics" then D also
needs to set a vision that provides more of a higher level
language (like adding better constructs for functional
programming).

I think Perl waited too long before changing. Perl was big around
2000, and essentially allowed Python to take over. Python made
the right decision to make breaking changes and fix unicode
strings, such weaknesses opens up for a take-over.

If you have weaknesses in areas where you aim to be best, well,
you need to fix them before somebody else does it. "Wait and see"
is usually too late (because of the inertia).