Thoughts on versioning

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:47:13 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 14:30:38 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 10/28/21 10:18 AM, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> if there was implicit construction
>
> This is going to still be a bit painful. I was thinking for
> more compiler help.

well, if there was implicit construction, the compiler would do
that conversion for you, c++ style.

but yeah today you can import the other thing and do the
conversion yourself....

> I personally would rather just use the v2 exclusively, and
> eliminate any usage of v1.

I think that ought to be the goal. You'd keep the v1 stuff around
just as a temporary bridge to give some flexibility to schedule
that transition, but realistically, the transition is inevitable
unless you want to lock everything (which is always an option of
course).