Thoughts on versioning

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:53:26 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 14:30:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> When programmers write code for a particular
> language/library/runtime/compiler they tend to make
> assumptions, that they probably shouldn't have.

Then there's the risk things will break. So be it.

> One might claim that people should not write ugly code, but
> most applications of scale does contain ugly code.

They also have their own test procedures and the option to
version-lock the system if the breakage is too much. They might
file a bug and I'm sure upstream can consider their problems on a
case-by-case basis if there's no other solution.

What we have now is fear leading to analysis paralysis. I say
just do something and if there is a problem, we'll deal with it
as it comes.

(the truth that nobody really wants to talk about is that even
the most popular D libraries have just a handful of users anyway.
we can just work with them as needed.)