Why are you using D instead of Rust?

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:19:18 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 23 October 2021 at 04:25:21 UTC, Dr Machine Code
wrote:
> Just would like to know you all opinions

In 2006, I set out to learn as many programming languages as I
could so I would always be able to pick the best one. I had a
notebook and kept notes about each one. I think I got through 56
languages before I realized D checked all my boxes and I just
gave up.

I have been using D off and on since then. I am not an expert
because I don't use it at work and I don't program as a hobby as
much as I used to, but even still, I have never run into a
problem I could not solve elegantly with the D language. That's a
pretty good endorsement. When it comes to technology, I complain
a lot! When I'm looking for a language for a side project, I
always start with D.

I can't imagine Rust solves a problem that I have and if it did,
it wouldn't solve any of my other problems better than D. The
syntax reminds me of everything I don't like about C++, while the
rules remind me of everything I didn't like about Scala.

As someone who has worked in multiple languages professionally
and explored many languages personally, I believe D to be the
all-around best programming language available. With a little
help in the library and stability departments, it could rival C#
and Java for productivity. With more specific tutorials and
documentation, it could start making inroads professionally as
well.