SAOC LLDB D integration: 6th Weekly Update

Luís Ferreira contact at lsferreira.net
Fri Oct 29 15:53:03 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-10-29 at 15:14 +0000, WebFreak001 via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 01:17:11 UTC, Luís Ferreira wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Awesome! Do you think it would be possible to add support for
> type debugging customization like in VisualD?
> https://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/Debugging.html#customization
>
> I couldn't manage to do it with the python scripting API but
> maybe you can have more success with C++!
>
> Having this as standard would be nice guideline for library
> authors to add to their projects.

I'm considering using and expanding the LLVM Python API. I discussed
this with an LLDB maintainer, and some things on the public LLDB Python
API are missing. One major thing is handling custom expressions. I
though about other things like fancy syntax highlighting. Both things
are willing to be accepted, we just need to make a good API for it.

The reason why I'm really considering the Python API is the fact that D
plugin may not be upstreamed, plus it is way easier to write synthetic
frontends and summary formatters.

About that debugging customizations: I don't have much knowledge on how
to call methods in the debugger, but it is something I will consider
exploring. Although I don't see how I can differenciate
`__debugOverview` and `__debugExpanded` in the LLDB interface. Is there
anything on GDB for this or any real world example I can base on? Also,
note that I don't use Windows nor have it installed, so I can't test it
on VisualD, if strictly needed.

--
Sincerely,
Luís Ferreira @ lsferreira.net