What kinds of Software do you create in D.

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 02:18:05 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 19:55:49 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 01:48:25 UTC, harakim wrote:
>> I'm curious: Is there a poll somewhere that asks what kind of
>> software projects people write in D? If not, what does
>> everyone write using the D Language?
>
> I use it for work as a way to call D functions from R and vice
> versa [[project page](https://embedr.netlify.app/)]. That's not
> the only library I have for numerical computing, but it's the
> only one I've publicized. As with everyone, I don't have enough
> time to turn them into public projects.
>
> I'm working on a compiler for a subset of R. When finished, it
> will allow anyone to compile bottlenecks in R code, requiring
> only type information and not requiring any knowledge of D.
> Since not all R code can be made fast or needs to run blazing
> fast, it will only be the subset of R for which it makes sense.
>
> I have numerous other projects. For instance, my [tiddlyd
> app](https://github.com/bachmeil/tiddlyd) provides a very
> simple way to get a TiddlyWiki instance up and running. I've
> written utilities for [Obsidian](https://obsidian.md/) that
> convert my files to PDF, html, and other formats, convert
> org-mode outlines to Obsidian files, convert a directory of
> markdown files to a TiddlyWiki app, and many other things.

Oddly enough, I was specifically wondering if anyone used it for
data analytics last night.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am trying to understand where
the D community is at and what people are doing with it. I want
to have my own personal vision of D and surrounding tools. It
might give me motivation to build specific tools when I run into
problems because they would help other people instead of just
slogging through it.