Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 19:13:57 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 17:32:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> The problem with forum discussions is that folks without a
> stake get to envision things that others are to work on. (I
> don't know what github used IDs various folks have, so I'm
> saying this in general.) The most important is the take of
> folks who have a stake in it and a track record, such as
> (looking at the contributors since 2019 at
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/graphs/contributors?from=2019-01-01&to=2021-10-31&type=c) berni44, n8sh, ibuclaw, MoonlightSentinel and other heavy-hitters. And of course Razvan, the maintainer.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this, but this reads to me as
"If you don't contribute to the core language your views are not
important."

A sign of a potential echo-chamber in the higher parts of the
language's hierarchy. Quite disturbing.

Somewhat relevant, a discussion about another survey a few years
back, with the comment "Yes, leadership ignored it [the survey]
almost completely.":
https://forum.dlang.org/post/mfuubicfkfwgwwioltjp@forum.dlang.org

/melodrama

With an approach like this, wouldn't Phobos eventually end up as
some kind of Frankenstein's code base? A huge blob of code full
of historical baggage simply in the name of avoiding the word
"breaking change"?