Containers

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 00:52:04 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 31 August 2021 at 23:56:51 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I don't agree that COW is a good idea for generic collections.
> IIRC, C++ tried this with std::string and it was a disaster.

You seem to be confused. The C++11 standard prohibits std::string
from using COW. Existing C++ implementations were using COW, and
getting out of it was what was a disaster (notably, there were
breaking ABI changes, which the C++ ecosystem is not well suited
to handle).