How can one reliably run unittests

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 12:49:05 UTC 2021

On Friday, 3 September 2021 at 01:08:25 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> WAKE UP!
>
> This is bad. This is really bad. Stop making excuses. It's time
> to ask, how did this get this way and what can be done so that
> this never ever happens again.
>
> The set of flags the compiler propose is complete nonsense that
> do not serve users, it has cause major rewrite in the standard
> library, and motivated the creating of a new test framework per
> large project. This needs to stop.

First of all, I fully agree.

Second, I was digging out my DMD bug 18843 ("-deps -unittest
causes cataclysmic memory usage"), just to throw some more fuel
on this trash fire of a debate, and good news: `dmd -deps
-unittest helloworld.d` no longer causes cataclysmic memory usage:

```
$ cat helloworld.d
import std.stdio; void main() { writeln("Hello World"); }
$ dmd --version
DMD64 D Compiler v2.097.2
Copyright (C) 1999-2021 by The D Language Foundation, All Rights
Reserved written by Walter Bright
$ dmd -deps -unittest helloworld.d
dmd2/linux/bin64/../../src/phobos/std/stdio.d(578): Error:
undefined identifier `testFilename`
*snip 20 more semi-identical errors*
```

I don't think I need to add anything here...