Is D Dead?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Sep 13 20:04:01 UTC 2021

On Monday, 13 September 2021 at 18:31:59 UTC, Kenneth Dallmann
wrote:

> C has been around for a long time and is the de facto language
> of almost everything. To my understanding, Rust and D are the
> only two languages that can compete.

It's a little bit more than that. Contenders to C are

C++
Rust
Nim
Zig

My criteria is that the languages work on bare metal with minimum
library support. Some made Go work with small embedded systems
but still requires a runtime so I don't consider Go to be a
contender. D barely qualifies for this category as there are so
many library functions that require GC. If betterC didn't exist I
would have excluded D.