Is D Dead?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 09:17:40 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 06:12:37 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> You might not consider it a contender, but business that matter
> do,
>
> https://www.f-secure.com/en/consulting/foundry/usb-armory
>
> https://gvisor.dev
>
> https://cloud.google.com/kubernetes-engine/docs/concepts/sandbox-pods
>
> https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/08/23/tinygo-on-arduino

Can TinyGo totally drop the runtime and manage memory
`malloc`/`free` style? If so, that makes it a true systems
language IMO. And if it can, how much of the language is still
usable? C# can handle raw pointers and memory and thus is in
principle a systems language if compiled to binary code, but it's
a bad one because it's so crippled in that domain (I mean
standard C#. I think you could tell me about variants that are
better.).

Whether it can run on a low-power low-memory platform does not
determine whether the language is a systems language, though that
ability is still cool and useful. Home computers of the 80s ran
BASIC but weren't powerful enough for C++ exception handling IIRC
Walters stories correctly. Still it's C++ and not BASIC that is
considered the systems language.