Is D Dead?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 09:37:38 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 09:21:07 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> A systems programming language is one that can be used to write
> the full stack OS in it, period.

I guess there are as many definitions as there are programmers
for "systems programming language". But regardless of the
definition, I'm interested: can you write a Go program without
it's GC, and how much of the language is usable without it, if?

> As for being able to drop the runtime to be considered a
> systems programming language, I guess that rules out Ada and
> C++ then.

I'm pretty sure you can drop the extra parts of C++ runtime with
the linkers unused symbol stripper, if nothing else. Granted,
that only works if you don't use the parts of C++ runtime you
want to drop but it is still reasonable to use it that way.