Is D Dead?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Sep 14 11:36:30 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 09:37:38 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 09:21:07 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>>
>> A systems programming language is one that can be used to
>> write the full stack OS in it, period.
>
> I guess there are as many definitions as there are programmers
> for "systems programming language". But regardless of the
> definition, I'm interested: can you write a Go program without
> it's GC, and how much of the language is usable without it, if?

Why should I constrain myself, GC has a place in systems
programming as proven by stuff being shipped in production, more
so than what D has achieved thus far.

So apparently Go not fitting your definition of systems
programming language doesn't hinder it having more success in the
market on that regard.

>> As for being able to drop the runtime to be considered a
>> systems programming language, I guess that rules out Ada and
>> C++ then.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can drop the extra parts of C++ runtime
> with the linkers unused symbol stripper, if nothing else.
> Granted, that only works if you don't use the parts of C++
> runtime you want to drop but it is still reasonable to use it
> that way.

Indeed, by making use of language extensions and compiler
specific implementations not defined by ISO C++.

And I am not defending arguing Go only.

PTC Java, Aicas Java, microEJ, Meadow .NET are also part of what
I would consider.

Including D, with a minimal runtime instead of stuff like
DasBetterC.